Friday, March 20, 2009

The Essential Questions of Somatic Practice




1. What is This?
Open your awareness to all possible sources of sensory information including:
  • Surfaces
  • Movement
  • Breath
  • Moods


2. How Does It Want to Go?
Give your body the fullest possibility to make movements that use all sensations available in the moment.


3. Where am I Using Unnecessary Effort?
Watch for two kinds of tension:
  • Working too hard
  • Stopping movement that would like to be included


4. How Can I Inhabit This Movement Instead of “Doing” It?
Be curious, explore
Let the sensations soak in.
Use the practices to make friends with your body.
Feel yourself move as an organism that inhabits space.



You could post this on your fridge, at work...  

Let me know how you do with using these questions by contacting me at matthew@somaticsinstitute.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, Questions? Let me know! I try to include my responses in future blogs.